I woke up this morning to discover it was May and that I forgot to see how I got on with my resolutions in April. Not too badly, I think. And looking at them every month does mean I won't get to December and say "Did I resolve to do that? I don't remember making that resolution at all."
( April's resolutions )
It's February 28th, so it's time to have a look at my New Year's Resolutions again. Two months in. I think I may be the only person in the world who remembers making these things. I have it in my diary to review them on the last day of every month. It helps me remember to stick to them.
( The usual tangle of "Yes! I've done this!", "Umm... no..." and "I will, later". )
It's January 31st, so it's time to look at my resolutions. I've written in my diary to do this at the end of every month, so at the very least, that should give me the occasional reminder that I made some. Most are here, some are in my diary. This'll be the first time they're all together.
( A review of my resolutions. Doing badly on the little ones, it seems )
Make some plans for New Zealand 2012
Still waiting for my map.
Finish Draft Zero of the Sequel by the end of March
I've rewritten the first chapter and I've got the plot mapped out, more or less. We'll see how the actual writing goes.
Draft One of the original by 31/12/11
Not even going to start until April
Be ok 2/3 of the time
A glorious triumph. Give or take a few moody first-thing-in-the-mornings, I've only had two proper bad days in January.
Brush my teeth morning and night
I forgot one Sunday morning but other than that 60/62 (haven't done them tonight yet. Haven't forgotten though)
Wear earrings more regularly
I wore them once and have forgotten ever since.
Don't try to contact friends
Accordingly not done. Pleased that since deciding this, two friends have contacted me about going out. A triumph.
Buy a pen for drawing on my maps
No. But then, I haven't got the maps yet.
Cup a day of orange juice at work
Never use bullet points again.
Do you see bullet points? Done.
Send Silver's parcel
Done. Got a letter in reply.
No internet after 9pm
Did for a few days. But often, I can't really get my hands on an internet before 9pm and I need it to function. I have been sleeping fine and I've been reading, so I don't think internet after 9pm is hurting.
- Brush my teeth morning and night (night is the one I fail at)
- So far so good. Yes, it's only the 3rd but for two days I have brushed my teeth twice a day. I hear it takes three weeks to make something a habit so if I keep it up until the end of January I should start doing it automatically.
- I have read two books so far this year. That's effectively a book a day. I won't be able to keep it up but it's a positive start. Technically it was two books in one day, I read them both yesterday but averaging that out... And yes, they were the first two Harry Potters, which are fairly quick and easy. This isn't adding a resolution. This one was already there.
- Wear earrings more regularly. I put some in yesterday and had to break a certain amount of skin to get them through.
- Don't try to contact friends. This may seem like an anti-resolution, because resolutions are supposed to positive and cheery and are generally skewed more towards "be more sociable" than "be less sociable". But I find it's less heartbreaking to be ignored than be rejected and being less heartbroken seems to be a positive thing.
- Buy a good pen for drawing on laminated maps. Something that can be removed but not just wiped off by an accidental brush of the finger. This is a sub-resolution of my "organise the New Zealand trip" resolution.
- Buy a carton of orange juice and have at least one cup a day at work.
- Never use bullet points again, they're unwieldy and I hate them.
It's a bit early, I shouldn't be doing this until next Friday or Saturday but never mind.
These are my resolutions for 2011.
- Read more. I have read twenty-something books this year which is disgusting. I want to devour stories and lots of them.
- Hike more. I said this last year. I did maybe two walks plus the mountain climb.
- Have my hair cut. I tried last year and all I succeeded in doing was being ripped off for a slight trim and comb. It may have to be done in stages so as not to feel too sudden.
- Use my left hand more - I am very dependent on my right hand and my left is fairly useless.
- Go snowboarding at least twice a month. I used to go regularly. I went in the middle of July and since then I've only been once, in the middle of September. I have boxes for this in my diary - two tick boxes per month.
- Make some plans for New Zealand 2012. I have a guidebook and I've ordered a map. I intend to mark interesting places on it and then I can begin to plan how to link them together, what needs to be missed out and what is best done at what time of year, etc. I must also open some kind of savings account for this. It's only going to be 2-3 weeks but I suspect it's going to be considerably more expensive than, say, Bucharest was.
- Finish off Draft Zero of The Sequel by the end of March and get a complete Draft One of the original Big Book Project done by 31st December. It doesn't have to be good but I'd like to eliminate the twenty-odd sudden abysses when my "this would be good!" doesn't go anywhere. Just a complete, linear story to give me a base to try and make good.
- Be ok. Don't get unreasonably upset about things, don't catch things, treat sugar with the caution it apparently merits and feel joy. Be happy 2/3 of the time.